Sunday, July 29, 2012

Good and tired

This will be short because it's been a busy week of paper writing and visitors. On Friday, I spent 14 hours in the library writing a paper on how sound technology influenced Virginia Woolf's representations of sound within her novels Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and The Waves (and I'll do it all over again next weekend with another long research paper).

I pushed to finish the paper so that I could get the bulk of my work out of the way before my visitors arrived. On Saturday, my Aunt Jani came to see me from the New York side of Lake Champlain. We had great conversation over a cup of chocolate mousse and lattes in Middlebury, and then we headed up to Bread Loaf to walk around the campus.

A beautiful cut glass necklace that Jani brought me
After Jani left I prepared a costume for the annual "suppressed desires" dance that took place that night. My desire was to be J.B. Fletcher from Murder, She Wrote. A friend of mine picked up a wig, and I borrowed glasses from another friend. I got all dressed up and fell asleep while waiting for the dance to begin. When I awoke, I was still in full costume and the clock read 10:30 p.m. I ran to the barn, where dances are held, and caught the tail end of the costume award ceremony.  After making a lap around the dance floor to look at all the other characters, I went back to bed.

Okay, so I don't look exactly like J.B. Fletcher
but the wig's pretty good.

Today, I woke up early and did homework before breakfast. I caught a ride down to Middlebury in the mid-morning and met my good friend Christine for lunch, shopping and ice cream. I found a colorful batik dress on sale and loved it so much that I wore it right out of the store.

A little glimpse of blue and green batik print

I got back to campus in time for a short nap before serving dinner. It's been a good weekend, and I'm wiped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment