Sunday, February 3, 2013

A poem

I've had more time to write poetry lately. Here's one of them.


Sweet Sleep
By Emilie Stigliani

Most likely where it all began.
In the hospital bed shortly after my birth
with Marie, Marisa and Claire Stigliani.
I have searched for sleep
On buses, trains
In cars and planes
Through fearful nights
When I left the lights bright
And checked the lock
Listening to tick-tock
Waiting for the sun
Which couldn’t come
Too soon
I have found sleep
In all shapes
The sweet “S”
Where a cinnabon dog
Curls in the crook of my knees
My polished teaspoon
Nested in another’s tablespoon
Under the silvery moon
The party-pooper corpse pose
On a crumb-covered sofa
To the lullaby of laughter
I sleep best
Not alone
Nuzzled and squeezed
The result of a family bed
Lie beside me

2 comments: