Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I remember

Je me souviens (I remember) appears on all the license plates in Quebec. My Uncle Louis pointed out the motto and translated the words for me while we were driving to our family's ancestral farmlands in the central Quebec municipality of Bécancour over Labor Day weekend. 

He suggested that we, along with our Montreal-based second cousin who came too, were enacting this motto. I thought his suggestion wasn't quite accurate, for me at least, as I'd never been there. I had nothing to remember. I drove on.


Although the farmhouse where my grandmother grew up burned down a number of years ago and none of us knew where my grandfather's farm even was, we did find plenty of hints from the past. 




We spent the day sightseeing the Catholic churches and cemeteries of the towns where my grandparents grew up, visiting our last remaining relative in my grandmother's town of St. Sylvere and eating Belgian-chocolate dipped ice creams the size of our heads. We even weaseled our way onto the farm where my grandmother grew up by buying eggs from the elderly farmer who now lives there. He took us around to see the chickens, goats and sheep.  




I took the opportunity to photograph the barns that are still standing.




As we drove back to Montreal at the end of the day, I felt like I had a fuller understanding of who my grandparents were and what kind of legacy they have passed down tho their children and grandchildren. A legacy of simple living, hard work and commitment to family. I come from a family of good and honest people. My mind wandered back the "I remember" motto. Now, I do.

4 comments:

  1. Je me souviens aussi. J'aime les videos, et j'aime Emilie beaucoups!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emilie,

    Do you know that on your grandfather's side, you are descended from a man named Comeau who was with the group of men led by Samuel Champlain that founded Port Royal, the first European settlement in North America north of Florida. The year was 1605, 2 years before Jamestown.

    Love,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the historical context, Papa. You'll have to tell me more about that book you've been reading.

    Love,

    e

    ReplyDelete