Sunday, March 3, 2013

Something to see

This week, I spent many hours at movies and conferences related to Columbia's True/False Film Fest. The most eye-opening movie I saw was the documentary Dirty Wars, which investigates the US government's secret operations forces that have been engaging in drone strikes and attacks around the world (including countries with which no war has been declared). Countless civilian have been killed and some of those killings have been intentionally covered up.

I was fortunate enough to briefly speak with the movie's main narrator and writer, Jeremy Scahill.  I asked him how he deals with reporting on people who are in desperate situations that he cannot directly help. He said that he never makes promises, but makes efforts to stay in touch with them and to share the impact of the film as it's screened at different festivals. I found his answer inspiring because I struggle with the idea that journalists write stories and get recognized for what they do while the lives of the people who share their stories often gain nothing.

The movie will be screening nationally later this year. I highly recommend seeing it.

Here's a bit more if you're interested.


1 comment: