Monday, June 11, 2012

Goodbye Iowa, hello work

I leave Iowa this week and head East — first to New York and then to Vermont. I'll spend a few days with friends in the City and a week in the Adirondacks with my uncle and aunt. Then, I'll start my summer coursework at the Bread Loaf School of English in Middlebury, Vt.

I'm ready. Almost all my books are read for a seminar on Virginia Woolf and a class on representations of Moors in Renaissance literature. I have one and a half books to go, which I plan to finish while traveling.

I'm also hesitant. Once I leave Iowa, I will be working almost continuously until next Christmas. There's a very short break between Bread Loaf and my fall semester at Missouri. The work will be rigorous. I leave relaxed and rested, with a little regret that my break is drawing to a close.

A field of wildflowers in Marshalltown, Iowa.
I've soaked up as much beauty and sun as I could
 to fortify myself for the coming months.

4 comments:

  1. Safe travels as you head East. See you in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charles! Hope all your travels and internship go off without a hitch. Have lots of fun and bring back stories to tell me when we mean again in Columbia.

      Delete
  2. My heart feels heavy. Two of my favorite people are on their roads again. It's been a bittersweet few hours for me. This is the cost of deep love and connection. Safe journeys to my chicks. Spread your wings. Soar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending you lots of love and very soon some letters and postcards from Vermont.

      Delete