Sunday, October 28, 2012

Celebrating seasons

I've been craving some sort of ritual in my life, a way to symbolically divide the constant flow of work.

After hearing me talk about carving a pumpkin, Claire brought one home from the grocery store. Coincidentally, my friends Hilary and Rick invited me over for a pumpkin carving get together. We sat outside and removed pumpkin guts, separated seed and carved. When the sun started to set, we went inside for mugs of mulled cider and Rick's delicious pumpkin custard. After desert, I took home my pumpkin and a baggie of seeds.

The pumpkin sits on the kitchen table where it glows a wide smile. The smell of cinnamon, maple syrup and butter wafts from the oven, where the spiced seeds roast. I feel cheery.

My pumpkin

Can you spot mine in the line up?

2 comments:

  1. It is a pumpkin fiesta here as well. I baked four pumpkins this morning and spent much of the afternoon scooping seeds, pureeing, cooking pumpkin soup, and canning 15 jars of pumpkin butter. The house smells of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm in charge of the pumpkin soup once Halloween is over. I'll be calling for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete