Monday, March 19, 2012

On call

I've become a firefighter.

Well, that's how I've started to see myself. Only, I wear a bike helmet instead of a hard hat and the fires I put out aren't literal ones.

Graduate school has proved to be one of the busiest times in my life up until now. There are constant deadlines for my courses and my teaching assistantship. I keep schedules several weeks in advance to be sure that I stay on top of the workload. Each night I write out an hour by hour schedule for the following day. 

I've become quite rigid about my plans and I get anxious if I have to break from them. Such strict adherence to my calendar allows me to get things done, but I've worried that it also keeps me from exercising spontaneity — something that was once very important to me.   

Last Friday, I was presented with the perfect opportunity to practice being spontaneous. A friend called needing a ride to the St. Louis airport. He had a family emergency and had to get home right away. Even though my schedule is important, so is being a good friend. I said yes.

I canceled the plan I had made to eat a picnic lunch with another friend. As it turned out, I was lucky to have lunch with me for the ride. 

After picking up my friend, we drove out of Columbia and onto the long straight stretch of I-70 that goes to St. Louis. 

Two hours later, my friend was at the airport in time to catch his flight and I was heading back to Columbia and to my list of tasks that I was supposed to accomplish that day.

I did get some of the tasks crossed off and others I completed on Saturday and Sunday. Though I'd hoped to have Sunday to relax and not think about schoolwork, the unplanned drive to St. Louis gave me the opportunity to practice flexibility and to be there for a friend. 

Today, I'm dreaming about life after graduate school. Will there be fewer fires to put out? I hope so. Fortunately, spring break is a week away and will give me the chance for a few much-needed lazy afternoons. 

2 comments:

  1. Flexibility...I practice this with Ann Barnard. I notice when I totter about I can recover my balance more easily and when I fall, I fall more gently. Perhaps the physical mirrors the spiritual??
    Mama-ommmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you see the connection between the physical and spiritual than it must be there, at least for you. I think that flexibility (both physical and emotional) is an important practice. Children are very flexible, and it seems that adults have a harder time. As an adult, I want to remain as flexible as possible. Life, particularly mine, requires it.

    ReplyDelete