Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring break

I'm not on vacation; I'm on a break.

While many of my classmates have left town, I chose to stay. I picked up some shifts copy editing in the newsroom and have been working ahead on end-of-the-year projects.

Even though this has been a working break, not having classes has allowed me to work half days and spend time hanging out with Claire, getting drinks with friends and taking Leo to the park.

Columbia has had sunny weather in the 80s, and Leo loves to soak in Stephens Lake. Normally, he wades up to his shoulders, faces the breeze and closes his eyes.

Sometimes he walks a little further out, but the moment his front paws can't touch the ground, he reels back.

Today, Claire came with us. She threw sticks toward the middle of the lake. Leo was interested but hesitant.

We encouraged Leo, and he timidly tested a few paddles into the deeper water. Suddenly he was swimming!

He fetched sticks for about 10 minutes and then willingly got out of the water. I usually have to walk out of sight to trick him into stepping out to look for me.

Claire and I walked wet-but-perky Leo home. I have no regrets about staying close.

2 comments:

  1. Your words and photos make a harmony pie and I look forward to eating a tiny slice each time one comes out of the oven - all homemade and gluten-free. Thanks for dessert, Emmie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Thanks for reading. XO

    ReplyDelete